The first of my New Testament books for my desert island mission is Mark.
What’s the book about?
Mark is a book about the life of Jesus. Mark’s especially interested in what Jesus did (rather than taught) and the work at the cross.
Why did I choose this book?
Each of the Gospels have a different purpose and I felt the other gospels wouldn’t quite fit my desert island audience:
- Matthew: Written for Jews and seems to include more guidance for Christians than for non-Christians.
- Luke: A close second, but Mark’s emphasis on action will be more helpful for a tribal people than Luke’s teaching.
- John: John is far to academic for people on my island.
Why I chose Mark:
- Mark was written for a Gentile audience.
- It’s short.
- It’s action-packed.
- It’s highly centred on the cross.
By the way, UCCF are sending out Mark’s Gospels into Universities. If you’d like to read more click here.